Friday, November 6, 2009

Roller Coaster

It would be impossible to keep the high after the high of finishing Longhorn, but I'm really trying! The swing from really high to pretty normal is a big change, and a little dizzying, even though it's not like I've sunk into the post-event depression. But I can totally understand how that would be easy to fall into.

I feel really motivated right now, and after a week off, I'm back to training. Winter training, which I thought I would focus on running, but after a talk with my coach, instead I'm going to focus on cycling. Hmm, not quite what I was expecting, but apparently my running speed is okay for triathlon, since there is usually walking interspersed anyway. But since the bike is the longest mileage and longest time, <15 mph is not going to cut it. So I love cycling, but I do not love spin classes. In a warehouse, going nowhere on your bike. But Coach M said that his coach told him that if there's something hard you don't want to do, most likely that's what you need to do the most. And his coach was Eddie Reese. Here is a bit of his bio.
Since taking over the men's swimming and diving program at The University of Texas in 1978, Eddie Reese has established a tradition of excellence in Austin and set the standard in collegiate swimming. The 2005, 2006 and 2009 ASCA Coach of the Year, an eight-time NCAA Coach of the Year and three-time United States Men's Olympic Team head coach, Reese has led Texas to nine NCAA team titles in his 31 seasons in Austin.


I will defer to the experts. So, a winter of spin classes, here I come!

No comments: