Tuesday, April 6, 2010

First training injury

So I've been dealing with my first real injury from training, and it's my wrist. Of all the body parts stressed with triathlon training, you'd think my legs or back would be most vulnerable. Of course, that may be part of it- I expect that and baby my legs and back.

I have been getting stronger with all the core training, and have been able to do more of the exercises including pushups, pike ups on the ball, mountain climbers, etc. And all of those include supporting my body weight on my hands. So I would feel some tenderness after a core class, but no big deal, just rest it right? Well, after a week of that, it was more painful, so I went to Performance Wellness and got adjusted and treatment for it. And 3 weeks later, still painful, so I went to my physician and got a steroid injection. De Quervain's Tenosynovitis is the final diagnosis- where the thumb tendons run across the inside of the wrist inside a tendon sheath get inflamed.

So now I'm a week out from the injection and brace, and it feels great. I will slowly incorporate biking outdoors and swimming back into the schedule, but no pushups! I'm also going to change my aerobars to be a more neutral position.

The injury has affected my training a little, but also going out of town for Easter. I think I'm in a pretty good place for Lonestar, but still could use a couple more long rides and outdoor swims. I have been able to keep up with the long runs for the most part, so that's good. And overall, there is less stress about the race, and I think it's because I've already done it once. The confidence from finishing Longhorn is a big part, plus knowing the Lonestar course is flatter and easier, and the time limit is longer. I think it's going to be a good time in Galveston!

No comments: