Thursday, July 9, 2009

I love Le Tour

The Tour de France is on, and it is three weeks of cycling passion. There are so many story lines, so many different races within the races, so many personalities. And yes, Lance Armstrong is one of those stories, but he is not the only athlete- there are 180 cyclists, and there are about 30 that I know by name and follow closely.

And best of all, there is Tivo, for as interesting as it is, it is great to be able to fast forward through the commercials and the flat spots. It is on Versus, which is an expanded cable station, 603 for my Direct TV. In the morning is Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen, the voices of cycling. In the evening, it's Bob Roll, and Craig Hummer. Craig Hummer is a tool, and my least favorite of the commentators, but the other three are wonderful. In the evening it is "expanded coverage" where they do a lot more explaining and speaking to beginner fan. And there is a lot of stuff going on and it takes a while to figure the whole thing out. But once you start, you get hooked!

I would love to go see the spectacle, but I would like more to do a bike tour of some of the stages, which I've heard there are a number of companies that do that. Someday...

No comments: