Sunday, August 2, 2009

Jack's Generic race report

Kind of a weird wind up to this race. I did something, not sure what, to my right shoulder earlier this week. I swam Thursday night, but it didn't hurt then, but the pain tingling across the front of my shoulder woke me up on Friday. I've had trigger points in the middle of my shoulder blade that would radiate like that, but never this bad. I was using the Theracane and tennis ball, and that felt good, but didn't make everything go away. Saturday I was supposed to ride with S and T3, a shortened ride of only 30, and it was a no go. I couldn't pull up on the bike without pain, the aero position was painful. It just was not going to happen. I did about a 45 minute ride around the neighborhood instead, and that was hard, humid, and painful. I went to Whole Foods for a chair massage, and that really helped. That whole right shoulder and upper back was just a huge mass of knots. What the hell happened there?

So Sunday came around, and I was really nervous that it could wind up a DNF. I've never had one, and I am doing the Tri Series and really want to finish the whole thing. But whatever was going to happen, was going to happen.

And it turned out to be a really nice day. It was overcast with sprinkles during the run. The shoulder was still acting up, and didn’t feel too strong on the swim. But I was able to get through it. I did get kicked in the neck by a breast stroker and I grabbed her leg in automatic response- I was furious! If you are going to breast stroke the whole thing, then don't start in the front! You can really hurt people that way- break a nose or give a black eye. So then I really pushed it to get the hell out of there! The water was not nearly as bad as at the Rookie- I think they've treated it with something to help with the color and smell. And the temperature felt better- probably because it was overcast.

The bike felt like a different route- it went over a lot of older chip seal roads that were very bumpy. And I ate my clif blocks in 3 different sessions, 15 minutes apart, which was good for the nutrition, but it took time out each time to grab them. I consciously didn't push too hard on the bike since I did that on the Rookie and paid for it on the run.

The run started out rough- I felt a lot of pain in feet, ankles, and calves, which doesn't normally happen. I Walked when I needed to and I liked that strategy. There was a newbie I leapfrogged with for a while, and I talked to her for a little bit, going slower to keep her in talking distance. Then at the turnaround, she completely lit out. I tried to stay with her, but she wound up finishing about 100 yds in front of me. Overall, good times with a PR of 4 minutes! And while I needed a nap, not exhausted or sore afterwards- stayed within myself on this one, and the injuries/odd pains probably had something to do with that! The only complaint is a really painful chafe rub under my armpit- the kind that makes you yell in the shower when the water hits it and you didn't know it was there!

2:05:28
Swim 500m 12:42; 2:32/100m
T1 3:15
Bike 13.8 1:03:03; 13.1 mph
T2 1:50
Run 3.1 m 44:36; 14:52/m

I do think I need a break from the Texas Ski Ranch. It's a good course, and High Five puts on good events, but I've done it 5 times in the last two years. I need to branch out and find other venues. Next year!

No comments: